Tuesday, June 28, 2011

MY JOB IS BETTER THAN MOST VACATIONS...

Surfing the massive hole at "Greyhound Buseater" with other guides during rookie training


Chillen at the challenge course


Sunset view from my cabin




HEY EVERYBODY!!

I don't have much time on the computer because I have to get to work this morning but I wanted to write a quick update on here because I haven't in a while and I would so appreciate your prayers!

As some of you know I have landed an amazing summer job that I started three weeks ago. I am a whitewater raft guide at Canada's number one adventure resort, Wilderness Tours! The resort is about an hour northwest of Ottawa and it is so beautiful here. It is located on a gorgeous section of the Ottawa River called the "Rocher Fendu" (near Pembroke, Ontario if anyone knows where that is). After not rafting since my accident when I was twelve, and then whitewater kayaking during Kaleo, God placed this challenge on my heart as if to say, you have been my Ambassador at Rona and now I need you somewhere else, somewhere that may be a little uncomfortable. This job fell into place so perfectly and, although I was pretty nervous to come here, I was very excited for what He was going to do this summer. When I am not on the river I am part of the activities department. This means I run the waterfront, challenge course, rock climbing wall, mountain bike tours, beach volleyball and basketball tournaments and any other weekend events we have. We have a lot of kids come here, as well as adults and I love working with all different ages.

The first two weeks I was here was crazy. All of us "rookie guides", as everyone calls us, had to go through a sort of boot camp training. This meant up at 7am everyday, on the water by 8pm and not in bed till 9pm. We had to run the river (2 channels) over and over, get our SRT3 (swiftwater rescue training), and swim every rapid. The rapids here are CRAZY! If any of you know what class 5 rapids look like then you know what I mean. The power of water is just ridiculous!

I love this place. The community is fantastic and being on the river everyday is incredible. I am awestruck by God's creation every day here- in the rock cliffs, waves, waterfalls, trees, sunsets, sunrises and in the people. It is definitely a culture to it's own here, something like Caronport but a much different atmosphere. I am always exhausted at the end of the day and everyone is always up early to either work on resort or on the river.

I have met some super rad Christian friends here and some super rad non-Christian friends here. If you could pray for these people that would be great. I would especially love if you would pray for my roommate. Her and I live in a super tiny cabin together here. Her name is Kirstin and she is from Deep River, Ontario. She is a fantastic girl and a great roommate and I would love for her to be showered in the prayers of K7.

Worked through the book of James my first week here, then Ephesians and now Colossians. Any other suggestions for while I'm out here?

Also, if any of you would like to come up here for a trip (day trip or camping or RV-ing or rent a cabin) please let me know! I can give you a discount AND take you down the river!

No worries if you can't comment. I totally understand that everyone is crazy busy and sometimes we only have time to read stuff before life takes us to the next set of business. Give me some Ee-taow lovin and send some prayers to the Ottawa River!

Love you all so very much,
Emmers the Ambassador

PS. We also have the biggest bungee jump in Ontario here so if any of you are in for round two, come on up!

6 comments:

Jenna said...

Emma Emma Emmaaaaa!! so good to hear from you! thanks so much for your update:) i miss you like craaaazy and i will keep you in my prayers over the summer! much love <3

Mark said...

WOOT Ontario!!

Jeremy Derksen said...

Emma! Loved the update and the pictures. Might I recommend 2 Corinthians?

Matt Myles said...

"This meant up at 7am everyday, on the water by 8pm and not in bed till 9pm. " what did you do for 13 hours a day?!?!?, kidding i know it was a typo i just thought it was funny, that sounds amazing Em I'll definitely be praying for you and your new friends! it feels weird suggesting a different book than jer just cause i feel like it'll come across as "NO DONT READ THAT ONE READ THIS ONE" but i assure you thats not what i intend to do, i recommend 1 John. but i wont be offended if you choose a different book I'm sure you'll learn just as much. love you em -MATT!

Rivera Woodford said...

ahhh that looks like sooo much fun em! very happy that you got this job! I hope all is well with you there!! keep being the ambassador you are!!
much love!

Katie said...

wow emma is actually one of the coolest girls i know!