Sunday, January 25, 2009

For Starters...!


Hi everyone and anyone who is currently reading these words right now!
This is Jade Summerfelt here (or in that picture there <--- ) and I can't wait to meet you all face-to-face! So a little about myself.... well, I live in the wonderful[ly small] town of Wilkie, Sask. I'm currently in Grade 12 so I might be one of the youngin's here, not really sure. I can be quite the music fanatic, in fact I play guitar (including bass) and sing and have had many great times playing on worship teams at camp and at church. Oh, and mentioning camp I'm a counsellor at Manitou Lake Bible Camp and have been there for (Oh how many years now?? Do camper years count??) let's say quite a while. However, I guess I could say that I became a Christian my first year of camp -- 2003, and life has never been the same since (in a good way though). Other than my summer job at camp, I have two other ones on the go right now. One is working at the museum in my town doing some data entry stuff on the "artifacts" there and helping organize the kids programs. The second one is church janitor! Haha (which is nice because I can do it when I'm not busy). What else for random things...oh I like soccer, snowboarding and curling and I'm also a bit of an archery geek as well. For the other interests-- photography, video production, graphic art, stuff like that.
I think I'll keep this on the short side for now, but I know there will be more to tell later on.

Anyways, I'm so excited for Kaleo. Like, uber-tastic-jumping-around-doing-a-happy-dance type of excited. I've heard so much about it and feel so privileged to be a part of it in the upcoming future.

Keep it real and don't forget to be awesome!


~Jade

P.S. Has anyone read any interesting books lately? I have a reading fetish right now and I don't know where I should begin...

16 comments:

Joel said...

Haha! Wilkie! Where's your grasshopper?

Welcome to the K-fam, Jade!

Sheri said...

Bahahahha Joel your a gong show!!!
Jade I am stoked to meet you.. Oh dont worry you will meet me and be blessed.. lol.
God is about to do some amazing things in your heart!!!!
Well Have fun anticipating (spelling??) K7!!
~Sheri K5

Jim Badke said...

See? In Kaleo Sheri learned to spell. And a whole lot more. Thanks for getting us started, Jade!

Genuine Jader said...

The grasshopper is gone! Goodbye Wilkie fame *tear*.
Lol you guys are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Jade, just you wait! Kaleo will blow your mind. I pray that you'll find more than you expected here, and that God will push you outside of your comfort zone in every way.
As far as good books...
Because of all the text books we have to read, I haven't had anytime for leisure reading.
Let me know if you find any good'ers.
Blessings,
Amelia - Kaleo 6.

Matt said...

Hey, well it looks like I'm another "youngin" along with you see you in september. As far as books go... ummm Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti are both really good christian writters more"guyish" though if you know what i mean

Matt

Matt said...

Hey, well it looks like I'm another "youngin" along with you see you in september. As far as books go... ummm Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti are both really good christian writters more"guyish" though if you know what i mean

Matt

Matt said...

Hey, well it looks like I'm another "youngin" along with you see you in september. As far as books go... ummm Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti are both really good christian writters more"guyish" though if you know what i mean

Matt

Matt said...

woops

Genuine Jader said...

Amelia- Yeah I see your point about the textbook thing. :P
Matt-I read their collab., House. Love that book! But I haven't read any others by (any of) them. Maybe I shall...

VK said...

Read "The Man Who Was Thursday" by G.K.Chesterton, sooooo good. And anything written by Frederick Buechner (like Godric, wonderful). Anything written by Chesterton is solid gold. Or read some Fyodor Dostoevsky, also a brilliant man.

You should also read "Pilgrim's Progress", ancient book but soooooooo good!! Or pick up some Sir Philip Sidney (old school, wrote "Defense of Poesy", short but fantastic). Or some John Donne, throw it back old school. Or you can always pick up something more contemporary like C.S. Lewis (a little "Mere Christianity", or "Screwtape Letters" seems to be a prerequisite to Christianity these days).

But if you want some poetry, pick up some Gerard Manley Hopkins. That man's a wizzard. Like amazing. Like wow. Harder to understand than anything I've ever read before, but man it's rewarding! Even just pick up some of his prose works, still brilliant. He journaled more poetically and brilliantly than most people write. Or some Wordsworth, he's worth picking up if you want to dabble with some romantic poetry.

Wow.... that's a lot of random (and mostly ancient) writers. Truthfully that's mostly from the courses I've done in the last year, and I've fallen in love with everything we've had to read. But if you read anything, read "The man who was thursday" by Chesterton, "Screwtape letters" by Lewis, Philip Sidney or "Pilgrim's progress". Those would have to be near the top of the list. Especially Chesterton. Go read that first, forget the popular Christian junk out there. Read some of this stuff first. It used to be that you read The Bible, had a book of Common Prayer and Pilgrim's Progress. There's a reason for that. K this is really random but reading has just really impacted me this year, so go do some of it. Let me know if you think I'm crazy.
-Viktor, K4 (currently attending Briercrest)

BByman said...

A couple good books you may have heard of are "Captivating" and "Wild at heart" by John and Stasi Eldredge

Deborah Fisk said...

kaleo is going to BLOW UR MIND! ENJOY IT!

-a few books (the alchemist, 1984, Enders Game)

-deb fisk (fish -kaleo 6!)

Genuine Jader said...

Ooo thanks for all those ideas for books guys! It's too bad I can't read all of them though, lol that would be so intense.
Oh and Viktor, I don't think you are crazy. You just have a knowledge of many wonderful books. :) I always wanted to read some of C.S. Lewis' works (other than the Chronicles of Narnia set) so you reminded me of that...

Anonymous said...

dude, i'm a youngin too!
read the irresistible revolution by shane claiborne.
rad read.

Aaron Denninger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.