Monday, January 17, 2011

Clarification

So I realize my last post sounded pretty negative. But it wasn't meant to be, I just wasn't clear enough. So here are my thoughts using much greater explanation.

So it's an idea that sounds bad at first but has come out of some hard times. The idea is that hope doesn't just have to be about the wholeness, restoration and glory of the kingdom of heaven. Hope doesn't have to be entirely about healing or victory.

Lately my life has sucked, BUT... it's okay. See I have found a sort of hope in suffering, a peace in pain, a life in death. My pain and suffering over the last 6 months have led to the deepest connection i have ever had with my family. Love grows much in suffering. And so I appreciate suffering. I am content to live in a messy, messed up mess of a life because it deepens my reality, it brings depth to how I live, it brings me hope.

See, whenever I talk to people about this I usually hear about the "one day" when all will be made whole. But that "one day" could be up to 60 years away. It seems to me like hope needs to be much more dynamic than just a point in the future.

Metaphors don't seem to do this justice but I will try. It is like in any action movie. The best scene in the movie is usually the last one where the main villain is defeated. If I am watching the new Robin Hood for the second time, I can't go through the whole movie just waiting for Godfrey to get killed. I watch the movie and let all the garbage, the suffering of the characters, the trials that Robin faces, build up the connection to the characters. Robin's strong character shines through in his tough moments, maid Marian's devotion to others shines through as she toils in the fields. Those moments build up a strong appreciation for the characters, a love for the characters. It is those moments that make the final scene so good. Without the injustices, how can we savor the justice that comes when Robin places a skilled arrow through the neck of Godfrey and so ending his chain of evil deeds and deceptions?

I guess all I am saying is shouldn't we, at least sometimes, find the places where people are hurting and place ourselves right in the middle of it, and experience the suffering. Not create suffering or push others to cause suffering but seek out the places of suffering as it is. Love grows much in suffering. We could see the true character of people around us. We could develop a greater love just by living in suffering with others. Then when justice comes we can savor the sweet glory of restoration, but not before it's time has come. Desert after the veggies, not before.

This is what I have come to understand and live out lately. I am not without hope, just in a revelation of hope in ways and places that are new to me. Hope this helps clarify my last post a bit. Cheers.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Another movie ending given away...but that's not the point. Thanks Tim for sharing this, it gives clarification prettily. If you saw my comment on your last post to be one of those "one day" comments, know that after reading what Jim had posted got me really excited in his phrasing and compelled me to repeat it. "glory, glory, all glory. That will be the day." instantly became my quote of the week.

Blessed be you Tim as you continue to journey, as you continue in the trill of hunting treasure.

brother Mark