Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Long time no post...

My dearest Kaleo gang,

I apologize for my lack of communication with you guys, I have been learning/experiencing so many things that I feel flustered to type them out. I am currently involved in so many things that I haven't been able to devote time to communication with friends from afar. Well, God decided to strike me with sleeplessness tonight so I thought I would at least attempt to tell you guys what has been up in my life. So here's my best shot.

My summer job was very tough on me, more so mentally and spiritually than physically. I struggled a lot with gossip and pride during that time. The hot topic on the site was about how poorly our employer / foreman would treat us. This is true to some extent, my foreman was very hard on me and I am still healing from the damage he did to me. But despite this, I was not setting a Christlike example by constantly discussing with my co-workers how my foreman was self-righteous and self-centered. Some would say that the things you judge in another person are most likely the things that you will struggle with yourself. And again, this is true to some extent. I am currently working very hard at demolishing my ego and learning to think of others first and I am proud to say that we are making progress (you know who I mean by we.)

I am reading a book called "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and I have learned so much from it. It is not really a book about dating but rather a book about how we are to please God in everything we do. Never has a book challenged me in so many aspects of my life. One such example is learning to be content with my current circumstances and to seek God in the now. As most of you may have observed, this is a very hard thing for me to do. I am always in pursuit of the optimal and I miss a lot of the good things that God wants me to experience. That stops now! As of lately, my mind has always been on the lookout for how God is working in the now. I have to admit, I have seen some pretty cool things happening! Another thing that the book has challenged me to do is strip off every bit of influence that the world has had on me, especially in the area of dating. The harmless suggestions that even kids-shows make about dating are completely wrong and dangerous. One of the principles, the author, Joshua Harris provides is that "The joy of intimacy is the reward of commitment." Not many of the dating relationships in our culture can be backed up by a decent amount of commitment. Thus, it becomes a game; "Let's see how much intimacy we experience with the least amount of commitment." As soon as the intimacy disappears, which was only intended for marriage in the first place, so does the relationship and a "mini-divorce" takes place. We all know what God says about divorce! The point is this, the motives for relationships in our culture are extremely selfish and undetectable. The world has done a great job in blinding us from them and I hope that all of us would be able to see beyond these lies.

My family is falling apart more and more every day. I hardly ever see my Dad, My sister hasn't seen him in 3 weeks. He is working 14 hours a day at work and is the saddest I have ever seen him. If I was in his shoes, I wouldn't see any point to continue on in life and this scares me a lot. Please pray that God would give him a reason to live and that he would be healed of the negative effects that this separation is having on him. Let me tell you, he has taken a beating! My mom too, it is hampering her spiritual walk.

The attitude at my house has improved quite a bit since my return. My sister told me that they hadn't laughed much while I was gone. That changed in a hurry. My presence has had quite a positive effect on my family I have been helping out with tutoring my brother and sister and working on a 50 item "Honey do list" that my mom gave me. Oh, and my car started leaking transmission fluid, needs new injectors, a baffle for the fan, the tail pipe fell off, the brand new paint job is starting to chip off in places, I need to install a trans axle seal kit and add second battery for the winter. Sigh, things like this seem to pile up everyday.

I really don't know what God has planned for me in the next little while. There is one small (by that I mean BIG) exception. The other day, my sister randomly handed me a verse that she was writing down for herself and said "This is God's will for your life." The paper had on it written Romans 12:2 "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will." So I guess for now I am going through a period of mind-renewal which I am very excited for and I would appreciate your prayers in this process.

That's pretty much the extent of my patience right now (Please pray for more of it). Love you all lots and I would appreciate phone calls to rescue me from my busyness.

Your brother in Christ,

Masterpiece




Attractive eh?

2 comments:

TimfromNB. said...

Well Trent. Tow things hit me as I read this, wisdom from a higher source and confidence. I think from what I have read I could say that you are in a good place. God has blessed you with immediate goals and faith for the long term. I am proud of you brother, you are facing life with your head held high because you have put your trust in the Lord your God. Would love a chat sometime. Grace continue to be with you brother.

Jim Badke said...

Thanks for this, Trent. I see grace in your story, like I see it in mine. Miss you.