Hey All,
I'm having a brainwave right now and I kind of want to get it out into the air. Put the words to paper to see if it all makes sense I guess. I just got back from the movie "Avatar" with my brother. It's a great movie, the animation is amazing and it was definitely a good movie to do some male bonding with Shawn.
Anyway, there's a part in the movie when the humans have destroyed a very sentimental place, the alien home. Now the aliens are going to gather and retaliate to protect their world (of course it's deeper than that but it's kind of hard to explain). The aliens have a real cause to fight for; there are oppressors threatening to extinguish their race and ultimately destroy their planet.
What really got me was the human's position on this retaliation that the aliens were putting on in reaction to the destruction of their home. The words of the human colonel (pronounced ker-nal) struck me the most, "We are going to fight for our survival."
I've been thinking a bit about justice lately (as we all should for the course we have in 8 days) and this part in the movie really struck me. These oppressors (humans) wanted to wipe out a peaceful people that when truly looked at, had a much deeper grasp of the world they were protecting. All of this ensued over a simple mining project, for dollars and cents. My question to that was, 'Where is the justice?" Were the humans really fighting for their survival? I don't think so, the aliens were surviving just fine. It was the humans idea of surviving that they fought for, they refused to see the other side of the table.
I guess my food for thought would be, what are we fighting for? What are our motives? Have we checked them recently? Where is the justice?
I hope this all makes sense, and I'd love to hear what some of you guys have to say on justice. I look forward to seeing you all in a week I'm definitely ready for round 2, or at least I will be as soon as I finish my Mission's homework.
Stay strong, keep thinking, and God Bless.
Love,
Nick
4 comments:
Haha me and James saw that when I was out in Ontario.
Yeah, it made me think of settlers v. natives. And Pocahontas...
I think it's always important to be looking at what we're aiming for, fighting for, living for and dying for. It should be for much bigger things hey?
Miss you bro, good to hear from you, see you soon!
Matthew
PS. How uncomfortable was the love scene for you? I felt weird at all the blue-skinned intimacy - they looked incredibly real; if they were a real race they couldn't possibly look any more convincing.
To be honest the love scene didn't bother me. Even though they looked incredibly real, it sort of looked like they had wet suits on and so that was what I thought of. What I thought of mainly was how curious their 'mating' was. It was in the act of intimacy that bonded the two, kind of sounds like how God originally created us. That's more or less what was swimming in my head for that scene.
hahaha wetsuits, nice. yeah it was just weird, to be emotionally invested in these super-charged relationships and dynamics of their culture and faith.
but yes, i thought it was cool, the whole "mated for life" thing. and the genuine, gut-wrenching heartbreak you saw when she realized she'd given that to a liar.
Nick,
Thank you for your post. This has given me something to think about.
Post a Comment