Sunday, April 3, 2011

“They may take our land, but they can’t take our freedom…”-Braveheart

Alright so to get you started you need to be reading this as grounds keeper willie from the Simpsons, and if you haven't seen the Simpsons then your probably a fan of Shrek....(donkey?). ready? ok.
Well I'm sitting in a starbucks (of course) in Edinburgh Scotland right now. yes. Scotland. why? because I'm on an adventure of a life time.... here's the story:
In January I sat down with my parents explaining to them, "mom, dad... I'm a bum.. I have no job, not going to school.. and well yes.. I'm a loner.." shocking right? yes hard to believe Rivera doing nothing (shopping is fun, the movies are fun this... is not fun!) ... So my dad suggested that I go work abroad. umm no thanks I'd rather stay at home surfing the web and slowly become agnostic. <- agnostic? well I'm not the best person to be living outside community.. So for about a week I was looking at going to New Zealand, there's a lot of fruit picking work, long hours, hot sun, back breaking... hmmm alright looking somewhere else. how about... the UK? I could travel to europe on the weekends! So I got all my paper work filled out, a couple trips to Toronto to the british embassy, a few £'s, and watching post-apocalyptic, zombie movies, and little Britain/the office uk/ and simon pegg.. I was all set for the UK. I have a 2 year working visa, so I can work in wales,england,n.ireland, and Scotland. On March 21st I landed in London.. well not really london, my plane wasn't able to land due to fog. LOVELY! and then for some reason they wouldn't let us off the plane for about 3 hours because we landed at a national airport not international.. I could write a post about that experience alone.. lets just say.. police surrounding the plane, reporters taking photos, people threatening to leave the plane when not allowed to... WELCOME TO LONDON RIVERA! ahha then I had to buy a bus ticket to london which was about 39 miles away.. good luck! made it to london, got lost on the underground, made it to my hostel and slept for the rest of the day. I only spent a week and a half in london, personally I find it a tad dirty, busy, and well my canadian fashion made me look homeless (hello H&M).. Also there was a protest durning the week, with anarchist, B&E, and masked V for vendetta people everywhere. I've meet some great people from all over the world at the hostels I've been at, and some great girls form Quebec. haha love them. Well now I'm in scotland, and Loving it. Edinburgh is BEAUTIFUL! soooo much history, great stories! went on a free walking tour and learn't so much, suggest if (when) you come over (to visit me) we'll go on the tour! at the end you go to a pub for fish and chips or haggis and a pint. I find haggis spicy.. but good. I've been in edinburgh staying at a hostel for 4 nights and on monday I'm moving to Callander Scotland! at the base of the Highlands just north of Edinburgh (LOVE!) I got a job working at a fudge shop (my employer also owns a souvenir, american antiques, and sweets shop(s)) So I'll be working between them. Well this is the news for now I guess. I do have lots of side stories.. maybe not ok for the blog.. hehhe, spiritually I'm in Love with God! I just need to find community.. I've been looking at stirling baptist wich is 25 min form callander.. just need to find a ride.. hopefully I get sundays off.. I think generally I'm happy, i haven't felt depressed in about two weeks.. maybe It's over powered by stress... but I rather stress then depression., this is a life experience I need (wanted) to have, I've always wanted to travel, get out and see the world... yea it's the UK and there's sooo much more to the world then this, but it's a start right?

(FYI ladies) Come to scotland!! the men a gorgeous, their accents are Sexy and if you don't mind a guy in a kilt... close your eyes when it's windy!!! and well If you get a save the date in the mail.. don't be surprised!!! ;D

Love you all soooooo much!!! it's getting late and I need some sleep before I'm off tomorrow to Callander.

LOVE RIVS

6 comments:

Abby said...

WONDERFUL!!

Imma come see you when i have the monies, my cousin is in Dublin Ireland so it would be like two birds with one stone.

LOve you and hope you are having a amazing time!

Jessica-Lyn said...

Also am thinking about going over to belfast in the next year or so, I will keep you posted :)

Anonymous said...

You just made me laugh out loud so many times. "Close your eyes when it's windy!" Man, I can just hear you saying that in our old room- Jenna blushing and me laughing hysterically.

So glad to read this update from you and know you're doing well!

Picture me pulling my hoodie over my eyes and making that really funny noise while running around our room!

MISS YOU! GOODLUCK IN LITTLE BRITAIN LAND! VICKI!! YEAH BUT NO BUT YEAH BUT NO BUT YEAH!

Haley Warkentin said...

Where'm I going?! Where'm I going?! Where'm I going?! You're going to THE UK! Hah, thought of that the other day as you'd take your hands from your shoulders to your stomach. OHH I miss you and as I read this I completely agree with Ems, I laughed out loud so many times! You are great. Have a wonderful time in your travels!

Jeremy Derksen said...

donkey from shrek? as in, Eddie Murphy's ghetto voice?

Rivera Woodford said...

Abby - YES PLEASE! need to see you!
Jess - YES PLEASE! (updates!)
Emma - hahhhaha i also laughed sooo hard picturing you pulling your hood over your face!! also lmfao party rock anthem is the song that makes me think of you right now.
Haley - Get your butt over her! we need to go on a crazy bus tour together! ahahah and maybe do something in the rain?? any ideas? ;)
Jer - ahhhh so your a shrek fan I see.... (hahhha) that's cool... and when I think of that movie all I can remember is shrek yelling DONKEY in a scottish accent.