I have a five day break and a little access to a very slow computer, thus...
A MESSAGE FROM MARK GUENTHER
Greetings family,
I am still in Northern BC, planting trees, living out of a tent, making more then minimum wage through intense labour.
We have just finished our first contract with the second company. Five days from now we will be beginning our third and final contract, starting in Tumbler Ridge and finishing off in Chetwynd. Overhearing some of the talk that goes around - last summer Nata Reforestation had a 45 day planting season which is a shorter season but the owners said they would hire few planters for this summer to offer a longer planting season. This did not end up being the case and we will probably have an even shorter season this summer. We have planted for 24 days so far which probably leaves us just past the half way point in this terribly frustrating job. Even so, Nata still has one of the longest planting seasons of most planting companies in B.C. We are fortunate in this way. The time out here just feels so long and stretched out due to the days off and breaks that always come. I feel I've been out here longer than I actually have which presents the mind with a small dread to think we're only half done.
I mentioned that this job has been frustrating, these are my present thoughts on my situation: First, I do, I really do want to finish out this season. I am not obligated to ever return but it would be a huge disappointment for me not to reach the end of this crazy journey. With that said, I do not feel that my body is adequately equipped for this job. Due to mostly my scoliosis and the changes is forced within my body, mainly never providing much cardiovascular endurance and strength, it is very difficult for me to excel. Tree planting is about making as much money as possible, not just a little above minimum wage. For the seclusion and work that goes in to the entirety of planting, making just above minimum wage is not worth it. I have not thrown what time can strengthen and equip out the window, but it is a difficult mindset to be sloshing around in at this time. This next contract will be more difficult as well-more green undergrowth to hide trees, bigger and heavier tree to plant, a not as nice campsite, more insane driving insects, possible nasty weather, worst land, etc. I am on the best crew with the best vets with the best rookies in the entire camp. This has allowed me to be a better planter than if I was on any other crew but it is disheartening when there is a decent sized gap between you and the next slowest guy on your crew. The other rookies on my crew are stronger, faster, better at planting trees than I am and it makes being out here all the more difficult.
They say the worst part of tree planting is planting trees, so, other than that I have had an interesting and pretty good time. I have been selecting epistles and reading them over and over and over again, usually a chapter every night, until I can catch a theme or idea to that book. It was first Galatians, then Phillipians, and now Ephesians. I have always love the epistle to the Phillipians but this last time struck me with someting new, you've always got to love that. In chapter one when Paul talks about how his time in jail has been such a blessing in advancing the gospel to the jailers and his co-prisoners, it proded my heart to how I can not just live like Christ in the place God places me but to preach the gospel wherever I am BY using words, like Paul. I have struggled with this, what it means and looks like for me here ever since I was first struck with this thought. Mainly, how do I advance the gospel to someone who says they follow Christ but shows not the slightest hint of Christ in their lives, who forces himself to live a completely non-transparent life, and finds his joy and delight not in the Lord but in the world? I have caught glimpses of this answer here and there, from time to time, in several conversation and continuing to read the Word but I still seek. I have also been reading through Desiering God in the small amounts of time that come. The combonation of Scripture every night and Desiering God once in a while has brought me much joy and most definitely helped get me through this month in B.C. I have VERY much enjoyed the four letters that have come and will VERY much enjoy any more. Matthew: Your package of printed kaleo blog post could not have been any better or arrived at a more perfect time. I received it the very morning that we drove 5 hourse from Prince George to Tumbler Ridge and so I had something to read during the drive. We have had and probably will have more access to the internet and so I have been able to keep up with what is going on in the world of K7. Facebook does not work and has not worked for me at all way out here (except once in PG) so if I have been given messages, I know not what they are. You guys could reply to this or send me an email an I should usually see it within a week at most. I don't know how often I will be able to get into town during these five days seeing as all but one member of my crew has left Northern B.C. and without the possible ride from someone else, it's a two hour walk from camp. I would love to hear from any of you if not all of you K7ers. My email address is still markguenther15@gmail.com. My mail address is still the one to Chetwynd. I've usually been receiving mail two weeks from when it was sent.
Please pray that I may finish this race with strength from the One who has an abundance. For clarity of mind and focus. To continue in seeking out glorifying joy, and an open mouth and open life to share the love, grace, and mercy of Him who sent me here. Praise be to the Father.
I love and am praying for you all.
Brother Mark
3 comments:
Mark, reading this post makes my heart well up really big with JOY! I am SO proud of you Mark - What a struggle you are working through, and I can be sure, what CHARACTER our Father is building and shaping in you. I'm praying for you Brother!
Dont discourage me to go tree planting next year mark... because i'm set on it. But among other things, stick it out brotha, when things are tough just think of it being a means to an end and thats all. and as Kaitlyn said it is totally character building to stick somewhere thats rough and tough to be in. hopefully we will run into each other sometime in the future.
p.s is there a guy on your crew named Korey Reimer by chance? if you ever run into him tell him i say.. rippling abs.
Nate
To my cherished brother Mark; A man of the Lord Jesus, and a man of the Spirit; One who seeks to know his Father well,
I delight in this picture of you pouring over the Scriptures way out in the boonies somewhere. Mud caked in all sorts of orifices and crevices, open sores, bumps and bites, sore muscles, Bible open. You and the Lord, taking in real food.
I hope for a character in you that is so rooted and constant, sourced only from the Lord himself, that people are left stunned at your patience, your commitment, your love, your joy, your grace, your thoughtfulness, your selflessness, your service, your kindness. May he supply you in abundance Mark! Would you ask of him more than you have before, and see him fill the bucket.
Struggle with all His energy.
Fight the good fight.
Finish the race.
Cheering you on before him who sustains and strengthens weak knees,
a brother who loves you a lot.
Post a Comment