Dear Brothers and Sisters, it has been far too long. I think about you all every day and do thank God for you. Let me tell you about this leg of the race, which is much different than the one that we just completed together.
The last that you’ve heard from me, the Lord graciously revealed his path for me, which is taking me to Eastern in Philadelphia. I still feel some nervousness towards this, but also realize that without faith, it is impossible to please God, and he has reminded me to hope. Currently I am hoping for unique opportunities to share my experiences that I had with all of you this past year with those that I will meet next year, and using what I learned about community in Kaleo, work towards the community that God intends for us at Eastern. But that’s enough about school, it’s summer-time after all.
I would say that hope is a theme going through my life right now. Not that I am full of hope all the time, in fact today the Lord reminded me to be more hopeful, and to go back to that analogy, like the obedient dog with eyes that are just eagerly waiting, hoping. I am working at a landscaping company which has been a unique experience. They call me “Arry” as in Harry without the H because an Englishman who works there said I look like Prince Harry, and it seemed to stick. I am learning lots, everything from chainsaws to front end loaders and excavators. During the first couple of weeks, I used to dread going to work. The days were long and the people were rough. But it has grown on me. The Lord reminded me of the Olympics and how intentional we were about going to work. He reminded me of how when others, at 4 in the morning were one fry short of the happy meal, he truly filled us with joy and with his Spirit. How I wish that you were here with me to work alongside. For a while I had a very hopeful attitude and work gave me much joy as I got to know and even enjoy these guys that I work alongside. He has placed opportunities in my lap working alongside these guys and I love it. I have had many great conversations with a few workers. On those days, work is a joy and it really is my ministry. However, it is also very easy to loose this hopeful vision, and on those days, work is anything but a joy. Things to pray for I guess would be a constant state of hope. Please pray that each day that I wake up, I would be able to remember who I serve, and what he is capable of. Truly that would change my perspective greatly. And please be praying that work would be my ministry.
I do miss you all greatly. I miss our communion with the Father through one another. There is not many hours in my day that I can meet with friends and spend time in a community setting. There have been a couple times where I have tried to gather some friends together as believers and spend time in worship and study and prayer together. It is hard, and a little frustrating when I do not feel as though I have benefitted greatly from our time together. I need practice (and any advice) in this area of leading others in intentional fellowship. While I have had some very significant solo retreats this summer, I need community. We were made for community and it is a tough walk apart from it. I may be distant from inspiration and fellowship face-to-face, I have made some very good friends in books this summer. The life stories of Brother Yun and Jim Elliot have encouraged me, challenged me and have given me much to think about.
A big thing for our family this summer was that my sister got married. It was such a blessed time! So much fun. I had the opportunity to give a speech as did my sister and parents. On a deeper level, it was so good to publicly affirm one another in that time as it brought us together, and I believe that it helped heal some wounds that have been quite tender in our family. While on the topic of family, something sweet happened too. My dad was told of something dangerous in his health, something about his blood and platelets. They were multiplying far to fast than they are supposed to, and he said that this could lead to leukemia. Well after much prayer and God’s grace, the first time he got it examined, the number had dropped by half, and then the second time he went back, the numbers were completely back to normal - and the doctor had never seen this happen before! Ee taow!
In the words of Jim Elliot,” Though these days may be quiet, as far as doing is concerned, they are jammed full of excitement in the inner man. I exult to know the God who maintains the path of the just as a shining light, brigher by the moment toward the Perfect Day”. That can summarize my summer so far. Not too eventful, but there are many things going on in my heart, many things I am learning and I simply want to know our Father more and more and share in the life of his Son.
Much love,
Jer


5 comments:
Great to hear from ya Jer! It is sweet to hear an update on your life. Looking forward to more updates and blog posts. I'm glad though you have become more intentional in your job.
Col. 4:2-6:
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. Pray that God may open a door for our message, so that we may proclaim the mystery of Jesus Christ, for which I am in chains. Pray that I may proclaim it clearly as I should. Be wise in the way you act towards outsiders, make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation always be full of grace, seasoned with salt, so you may know how to answer everyone.
So glad to hear The Doctor is ok! Ee Taow indeed!
should have invited me to your wedding... i could have spiced up your dance moves.
Nate, Jer didn't get married, his sister did! Just thought I would clarify. Great update, Jer! Thank you.
"Made for community." I want to challenge you a bit on this one. Ultimately this is true, and heaven will be the eternal community. I just don't want you to think that community here on earth is guaranteed by God, any more than happiness is. We will have seasons without it, like Paul in prison or John on the Island of Patmos. Love it when you have it; be content when you don't.
Miss you, man!
Jeremy!
What a beautiful post this is! My goodness, you DO look like Harry! Praise our Father for all he is doing in the life of you and your family! I am so happy that you realize the impact you can have on people in your workplace. I too needed to call back our experience at the Olympics and remember how intentional God calls us to be everywhere we are. You are an amazing brother Jeremy! Your sisters and family look so beautiful. I'm glad last weekend was such a good one.
Love you brother,
Now drive forty minutes south and come over!
Oh Shepherd, the excitement of your inner man brings great joy to mine. Hearing the work of the Spirit through your journey this summer is a sound majestic. May I remind all who read this of Anthony's message of 2010 being the year of HOPE. Shepherd, continue in seeking this. Seek it within the daily adventures and trials of life. Seek it in the sufferings that you face through the day, the week, the month, and rejoice.
"... and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us." -Romans 5:2-5
Fight the good fight my brother, grace be with you.
David
Post a Comment