Tuesday, July 20, 2010

PEI-ing, the new verb

Hello everyone, I am writing to you from my tiny little Island known as PEI, which today is a little emptier because my good friend Matt Myles left. He arrived for a visit last Thursday and left around an hour ago. We had a pretty awesome visit. On the weekend we took an Island adventure to where ever. We started out just driving. We ended up at this little market by the south shore. I bought a small djambe (little hand drum) and we added my guitar into the mix. We started playing and then got asked to busk for this little farmers market. We made just enough for some Macdonalds and then ran. We then drove to the most PEI place I have ever been, the Summerside Lobster Carnival. There we witnessed the most PEI thing ever, a potato peeling contest. Three of the eight contestants bled in their mad fury of potato peeling. The winner was a man who had blood and potato juice all over his shirt, fortunately his prize was another shirt, the contest organizers knew what they were doing obviously. We then parkoured the town, swam in an incredibly gross and warm beach which was greatly refreshing. Then using our great Mikey D's intuition we found some good, bad food.
Here is the part that gets funny and perhaps a bit sensitive. Let it be known that the sharing of these next events in no way presumes any particular view or judgments towards any particular groups of people. So Matt and I googled the nearest camp ground which turned out to be 7 minutes away. This was Chrystal Beach campground. We checked in, after a couple mix ups with our site. We set up our tent and were preparing to go to the beach when we were approached by a very memorable character. A man approached us and introduced himself as Scott. He was a 40-50 year old man, no shirt and stylish sunglasses. He came up and told us a bit about our neighbors, asked us about where we were from and gave some advice about how to make the most out of our camping experience, all without spilling his beer despite excessive hand motions. He then told us that he is the queen of the camp ground. Yeah, the queen. And his husband is the king. He said "how much more gay friendly can a campground be then to have a gay king and queen right?" It was at this moment that Matt and myself realized that Scott was assuming us to have the same sexual orientation as himself. Matt and I then left to go to the beach but on the way out we stopped at the front office. I had a conversation with the girl there, a very awkward conversation. Matt had heard of Gay campgrounds in the states so I merely asked the girl if this was one of those campgrounds but on PEI. We simply didn't want to be in a place that wasn't meant for us. She reassured me that we were in a regular campground.
We had a sweet beach time with good music and a really chill duck. He was okay in my books. Then we we had a gross meal of burnt-ness over a fire and the worst sleep ever. The next morning we set out for home, bought some breakfast at Macdonalds, stopped for some go-carting and mini-put and then arrived in time for lunch. (let it be known that while Matt is the superior Mariokart racer, I destroyed him twice in real life, using a faster and slower car).

Just had to share the story.

I also had to say that for a while I was in a weird funk. When Matt came he talked about missing Kaleo a bunch. I realized it had been a very longtime since I thought about Kaleo. I have been stuck here in PEI. My work is hard, strenuous and I see very little change. I have been spending less time in prayer and no time in the Word or in any good literature. I have forgotten where I have come from. I have forgotten my passion for the dreams I had during Kaleo. I know that maybe putting this on hold is part of God's work in my life and I know that I need to present right now for my family. Post Kaleo life is hard. I am tired. And now I know that I miss Kaleo. I miss my friends, my brothers and sisters. I need you guys, and I forgot that. You are my church. You are an avenue for God's love to flow through. I really haven't found much of a post Kaleo life. PEI feels so dead to me. This is made harder by the fact that I was recently accepted into UPEI. I feel like I should go, but I also feel like it isn't the place for me. That's it. I haven't had anyone to bounce my thoughts off of like I used this past year so thanks for letting me so that again. Love you all, Matt will say hi for me, just tell him to, you Ontarians.

Cheers famjam.

2 comments:

Rivera "Challenger" said...

It sounds like you guys had a blast!! I wish I was there! hahah potato peeling contest... hhaha
Mariokart!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5YX1NwHPqE&feature=related


Love you tons tim!

Jim Badke said...

Thanks Tim! Well said. And I have heard this kind of thing before, and they are okay now, as I am sure you will be.

Are there people on PEI?

Just checking. I mean, I know there are not many of them, but all that is needed to create community is a few like-minded people.

I know you are working hard, but I have heard that when we seek first God's kingdom (community, essentially), he takes care of the rest.

Miss you very much, Tim. I am inserting the "blurbs" in the yearbook right now, and I couldn't help including a number of yours, since you are so good at words.

Thanks for these ones.