There are two articles of business I should get off my chest before I forget. One, I have shaved and two, I do not burp anymore (it must have been the camp food, not my fault!).
For me being at home has been weird. I could return to my old life seamlessly. My family has not changed, nor my friends, ultimate team or church. Somehow, I expected things to be different with all this talk of change and things being different. For some reason my parents haven’t even asked me about Kaléo, what it was like, what I’ve learned or anything. It has been really unsettling and weird, it seems as if they act like I was gone for a year and just showed up again. But instead of sliding back into my old niche I have been trying to think and show who I am. Talking with you guys has really helped, whether over facebook or skype (I’m always invisible by the way) has been a tool to remember the changes that have taken place.
But do not think all is ill! I had a great time camping with my dad and talking with him about whatever, and speaking my mind, which was really refreshing. The train ride was pretty uneventful (man Montana was boring!) but I did have a fun conversation with some strangers at dinner. I was telling them all about Kaléo and bridalquest, which they all had a good chuckle at. This may surprise some of you, but I am trying to get up early! Today I got up at 10am. I’m doing this because if I wake up at noon I have no time to get into the Word, plus I have to get a job.
Overall being home pretty good. Every time I check the blog or see some post on fb, my heart gets a pretty big tug, and a sigh of deep longing.
Oh! My mom made fun if my Canadian accent! What the heck?! In Canada I get made fun of for my American accent and now I get made fun of for my Canadian accent!
Your American Neighbor and Brother in Christ,
Gentle Ben.
5 comments:
BEN! I know what you mean about sooo many things! I have been made fun of about my Canadian accent also. I am denying it.. we must not turn into one of..them! haha =D( just kidding!) I don't know if I believe you about your burping haha jk..Well, I will be praying that God will show you ways to stand out in your family! You have changed so much, I hope they will see the new you. I can't wait to see you! We have lots to talk about..
Ben, I love your writing! Do it more (I noticed a strong Canadian accent in your post)!
Show people back home who you really are. It's not that you have a Kaleo identity and a home identity. At Kaleo, you became more like the Ben Schmit God created than you have ever been before, and you need to keep on becoming yourself. "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity." Show them, Ben - your actions will go a lot further than your words.
Ben! Sounds like you lose either way with the accents. haha. I can't believe you stopped burping either, I'm going to need proof of that... that may involve a skype conversation. I didn't know you were taking the train home! Tell me about Montana, I am so glad that I only drove through part of it! Yo, I'm in Fargo till tomorrow if you feel like a drive;) haha.
I love what Jim said above.
You will be in my prayers bro.
Ben, if your shower schedule was more hygienic when you left home, then I would encourage to go back to that. When it comes to the intense man of worship and of peace you've become this year, don't go back. We are all here (I guess on the internet is here) to help you press on the changes you've made. God's work is not easily undone so don't fear. I also got some good words from a friend. Focus upon what the Holy Spirit wants you to do in the next ten minutes rather than the whole time you are home this summer. God will be faithful to lead you continually and if you are constantly being transformed by the Holy Spirit, then you can't be conformed back to your old self. Keep renewing your mind, I think Paul may have been on to something with that. Grace be with you Brother.
P.S. I am grieving the loss of your beard again, it was a good beard, a little rough around the edges...but it had a good heart. RIP Ben's beard, RIP.
Thanks guys, this blog has been really helpful in taking a breather from all the stress in life and talking with great friends. diving back in...
Post a Comment